Friday, July 2, 2010

Nerves No Mo'



These past three weeks have gone by so fast! The first two weeks of training were jam-packed with information. But after being thrown into giving tours in the third week, I’ve found that most of the learning will be done on my feet!


I was so nervous for my first tour. Adrienne and I prepared for days, and I still didn’t feel ready. But once all the students showed up, all of my fears and insecurities went away. These first graders were excited, concentrated, and really smart! When I asked what they saw in Frederic Edwin Church’s View of Cotopaxi, one little boy raised his hand and said, “A tropical habitat.” Another girl told me that it was cold in the galleries because it helped preserve the artwork. These kids really knew what they were talking about! Every group of students I’ve had this week has been extremely different, but I’ve learned something new from all of them!


The most nervous I’ve been this week was just before my adult tour. I was giving an Age of Impressionism talk with senior lecturer Margaret Farr. She was so nice and helpful, but I was still sweating about the piece I was presenting. Once I started talking about Monet’s Arrival of the Normandy Train, Gare Saint Lazare, I realized that all of the adults were smiling at me, sort of cheering me on. That really boosted my confidence. Though the talk didn’t go exactly as I had planned, I felt good about it! I received some pats on the back from visitors and Mary H. and Jen (Thanks, guys!)! I know that the more I tour, the easier it will become.



So, to wrap it up, these are some things I’ve remembered from the past 3 weeks.

  1. The tour will never go EXACTLY as you plan it. Improv is everything!
  2. Do not enter doors that say staff only if you don’t know where they go.
  3. The best place for lunch is the river boardwalk in Millennium Park.
  4. It’s always okay to ask for help! I couldn’t have asked for a better group of interns to work with, and I’m excited for the next five weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment